The World of Pulmonary Vascular Disease

PVRI Member Authors: Jason Yuan, Nicholas Morrell, Dr. S. Harikrishnan, Ghazwan Butrous

The world of pulmonary vascular disease (PVD) is lopsided in this sense: those nations that have the highest numbers of PVD researchers have the lowest number of PVD patients.

We ran a PubMed search for PVD researchers and found that, of all the authors of published articles on PVD, 90.3% were from the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, France, Germany and Japan, while those from all the rest of the world totaled only 9.7% (Fig. 1). Meanwhile, schistosomiasis is very rare in North America, but is the most common cause of pulmonary hypertension worldwide.[1] In addition, the burden of HIV-related pulmonary hypertension is likely to be far greater in Africa.[2]

Published in:

Pulmonary Circulation Vol 1: No 3 cover image

September 2011

Pulmonary Circulation Vol 1: No 3

View this journal

Our research platform is the world.

Through worldwide collaboration, we can begin to answer the question of a global disease.

Join the PVRI
standard-example-image.jpg