Type of task force
- improve knowledge, encourage research and optimise the delivery of clinical care of neonates, children and adolescents with pulmonary vascular disease through:
- Facilitating the growth of networks for research and clinical care between professionals from different medical specialities, institutions and countries, especially in less privileged communities.
- Disseminating knowledge about the paediatric pulmonary vascular phenotype in clinics caring for adults with pulmonary vascular disease and facilitating smooth transition of childhood survivors of pulmonary vascular disease to adult clinics.
- Promoting concepts about the foetal and developmental origins of pulmonary vascular disease, and the impact of early events on risk and severity of childhood and adult disease.
2019 Annual Report
The PVRI’s Paediatric & Congenital Heart Disease Task Force now has 57 members, including pulmonary hypertension experts such as Dr Xue Qin Liu, Dr Mariana Cazalas and Dr Susan Pumacayo-Cárdenas.
- Paediatric & Congenital Heart Disease Task Force Meeting during the PVRI Annual World Congress on Pulmonary Vascular Disease in Barcelona January 2019.
- 12th International Conference Neonatal & Childhood Pulmonary Vascular Disease, March 2019. San Francisco, CA, USA, organised by Jeff Fineman (Co-chairs; Shahin Moledina, Maria Jesus del Cerro).
- Pediatric Pulmonary Hypertension Network (PPHNET) Annual meeting, held in San Francisco, March, 2019, organised by Steven Abman.
- 4th European Conference on Paediatric Pulmonary Vascular Disease, Groningen, (Netherlands) 10-12 October 2019, organised by Rolf Berger.
- Second Latin Meeting (see first meeting here) on Paediatric Pulmonary Hypertension, held in Merida (Mexico) in April 2019, organised by Humberto Garcia Aguilar.
- 10th Meeting of the Spanish Registry for Paediatric Pulmonary Hypertension Registry (REHIPED), held in Barcelona, 1 February 2019, organised by Maria Jesus del Cerro. This was a joint session with the PVRI’s Paediatric & Congenital Heart Disease Task Force during the PVRI Annual World Congress.
Achievements in 2019
We published the results of the survey ‘Acute vasoreactivity test and use of Calcium Channel Blockers in Idiopathic Paediatric Pulmonary Hypertension’, conducted among the members of the PVRI Paediatric & Congenital Heart Disease Task Force, PPHNET and REHIPED members.
Caicedo L, Hopper RK, Garcia H, Ivy DD, Haag D, Fineman J, Humpi T, Al-Tamimi O, Feinstein J, Berger RM, Berman-Rosenzweig E, Kashour T, Diaz GF, Mendoza A, Bobhate P, Handler S, Lopes AA, Barwad P, Kumar Rahit M, Krishnan U, Adatia ITK, Moledina S, Abman S, Cerro Marin MJD. Acute vasoreactivity testing in paediatric idiopathic pulmonary arterial hypertension: an international survey on current practice. Pulmonary Circulation. 2019 May 30:2045894019857533.
Goals for 2020/21
- To hold the Annual Paediatric & Congenital Heart Disease Task Force Meeting during the 2020 PVRI Annual World Congress in Lima, Peru.
- In addition to scientific presentations, the Task Force will begin work on an update of the Panama Paediatric Classification and Functional Class systems, as originally developed during the Panama PVRI meeting in 2011.
- To collaborate in the organisation of the Third Paediatric and Neonatal Pulmonary hypertension Update to be held in Mumbai, India, in association with Indian Academy of Paediatrics (IAP), Mumbai and the PVRI. The event will be organised by Dr Prashant Bobhate and held in 2020.
- To hold the 13th International Conference Neonatal & Childhood Pulmonary Vascular Disease, 2020, San Francisco, CA, USA, organised by Jeff Fineman.
- Celebrate the 10th Annual Meeting of the Spanish Registry on Paediatric Pulmonary Hypertension in Madrid, Spain, 2020.