Type of task force
2019 Annual Report
- In 2019, the principal activity of the South American Task Force was the preparation of the 3rd Latin American Symposium on Pulmonary Hypertension, which took place in Merida México, from 2-4 May 2019. This event, organised by Dr Humberto García, was highly successful with more than 180 delegates attending from different countries.
- On 20 August 2019, in conjunction with Dr Sonia Muñoz and sponsored by Janssen, the Task Force organised a workshop on pulmonary hypertension in Children at Altitude in Pasto, South of Colombia, which is located at 2,550 metres above sea level. This workshop was attended by approximately 30 participants.
- On 5-8 November 2019, the 17th Congress of the Latin Society of Paediatric Cardiology and Paediatric Cardiovascular Surgery was held in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Esteemed PVRI member Dr Gabriel Diaz presented a talk on pulmonary hypertension. Dr Diaz hopes to share insights of this event in Lima.
- The 3rd Latin American Symposium on Pulmonary Hypertension in Children was held in Mexico, on 3-4 May 2019. It was well attended with 187 delegates from Argentina, Bolivia, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Guatemala, Mexico, Panama and Peru.
3rd Latin American Symposium on PH in Children in Mexico, 3-4 May 2019
The faculty included 9 international speakers:
- María Jesús del Cerro, Spain
- Shahin Moledina, UK
- Pei Ni Jone, United States
- Dora Haag, Argentina
- Gabriel Diaz, Colombia
- Lina Maria Caicedo, Colombia
- Usha Raj, United States
- Santiago Ucros, Colombia
- Jaime Alberto Franco, Colombia
We would like to thank the three PVRI sponsored speakers, Maria Jesus del Cerro Marin, Dunbar Ivy and Shahin Moledina, for their input and contributions.
Workshops, Presentations & Discussions
On the first day, the following workshops took place:
- Basic echocardiography workshop
- Advanced echocardiography
- Cardiac magnetic resonance workshop
Presentations and discussions followed the over the next two days, that were well received, on topics such as:
- Clinic PAH
- Image in paediatric pulmonary arterial hypertension
- Pulmonary hypertension (PH) in neonatology
- Surgery and intervention in congenital heart disease associated with PH
- Intensive care and PH
Delegates had a stimulating and thought-provoking learning experience coupled with amazing South American hospitality and entertainment.
The Symposium Scientific Committee would like to extend their thanks and gratitude to the esteemed faculty for making this event a memorable one.
The 4th Latin American Symposium on PH in Children will take place in Panama City in 2021.