Type of task force
2019 Annual Report
In 2019, the PVRI China Task Force has continued to encourage collaboration on a domestic and an international level. This effort has resulted in several international joint publications and promoted both clinical and translational science in pulmonary vascular research in China.
The main activities include:
- Education courses on pulmonary vascular disease (PVD)
- National and international conferences
- Implementing national strategies for pulmonary embolism treatment
- PVD management
Education courses of pulmonary vascular diseases (PVDs)
- 1-6 May 2019: In conjunction with World Pulmonary Hypertension Day (5 May) physicians from different cities held meetings to raise awareness of pulmonary hypertension by staging events involving both the scientiﬁc community and the general public.
- A series of educational and social activities for pulmonary hypertension were held in Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Chengdu, Qingdao, and Shenyang, to name a few.
- More than 150 multidisciplinary physicians – including many pulmonary hypertension specialists – and 1,000 patients and family members participated in these activities.
- Topics such as health education, social support, medical insurance and standardised pulmonary hypertension treatment for Chinese patients were discussed.
- 6-11 May 2019: The Pulmonary Hypertension Academy, a multicentre and multidisciplinary education platform for the diagnosis and management of pulmonary vascular disease, arranged a week education programme in Beijing China. The following institutions were present:
- Peking Union Medical College
- China-Japan Friendship Hospital
- Peking Union Hospital
- Beijing Fuwai Hopsital
- Beijing Anzhen Hospital
- Beijing Chaoyang Hospital
- Beijing Hospital.
More than 20 young fellows from different parts of China participated in the education programme. The academy provides an excellent learning and communication opportunities for young physicians, who have a primary interest in pulmonary hypertension.
- July 2019: Two education programmes, devoted to standardising the diagnosis and treatment of pulmonary vascular disease, were organised by the Chinese Medical Journal.
These courses provided updates on several important aspects, including diagnosis and pulmonary hypertension treatment, as well as standardised operational procedures for imaging pulmonary hypertension.
More than 10 multidisciplinary physicians jointly explored and contributed on the clinical practice of evaluation and management of pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH).
- July-October 2019: To provide support for individualised diagnosis and treatment of pulmonary embolism and pulmonary hypertension, a multidisciplinary consultation platform for diagnosis and management of pulmonary hypertension and pulmonary vascular diseases was established by the Assembly of PE-PVD (pulmonary embolism-pulmonary vascular disease) group within the Chinese Thoracic Society (CTS).
By the end of October 2019, more than 100 experts from 30 centres have participated in the programme. The platform provided an excellent learning and communication opportunities for physicians.
- 12-14 October 2019: To increase the awareness of thrombosis, further activities were conducted around WTD (World Thrombosis Day, 13 October), including an educational event for patients and the public, MDT (multi-disciplinary team) consultation for pulmonary embolism (PE) and deep vein thrombosis (DVT) patients, social media activities for increasing awareness of WTD, and an education programme for physicians.
National and international conferences
- 14-16 April 2019: The 11th National Congress on Pulmonary Embolism and Pulmonary Vascular Diseases and the 9th International Conferences of Pulmonary Circulation Disorders were held in Hohhot, China, with the collaboration of the Pulmonary Vascular Research Institute and the Chinese Thoracic Society.
- The symposium covered updated guidelines for pulmonary hypertension, chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension (CTEPH), and venous thromboembolism (VTE), with new information on the use of antithrombotics and thrombosis prevention. The latest knowledge to improve diagnosis, treatment and prevention of pulmonary embolism and pulmonary hypertension was shared. The PVRI also enhanced its educational programme during the meeting.
- October 2019: The China Heart Congress. The one-and-a-half-day pulmonary vascular disease session was attended mostly by cardiology physicians. Professors Xiansheng Chen and Lan Zhao gave lectures in the meeting, covering topics on advances in pulmonary arterial hypertension, as well as in congenital heart disease and medical and surgical treatment of CTEPH.
- 3-7 September 2019: The 19th National Conference of the Chinese Thoracic Society was held in Suzhou, China. This meeting provided a communication stage that will ensure further progress in the diagnosis and treatment of pulmonary vascular disease, including pulmonary embolism and pulmonary hypertension for physicians, scientists and other health care providers in China.
- 1 March-31 October 2019: Several workshops on pulmonary vascular disease were held in Shanghai, Guangzhou, Beijing, Shenyang, Dalian, Hangzhou, Nanjing in collaboration with the National PE-PVD Assembly and the Chinese Medical Association.
The topics, which provided the latest knowledge of diagnosis, research and pulmonary hypertension treatments from cardiologist and pulmonologist in South China, covered the most updated guidelines and research in pulmonary hypertension.
Implementing national strategies on PE- and PVD programme
- The formulation of national policies is an important prerequisite and guarantee for the prevention and treatment of pulmonary embolisms PE and DVT. The Ministry of Health in China has clearly included PE-DVT prevention and treatment into hospital assessment indicators to ensure it is well implemented.
During the year, more than 500 hospitals participated in the venous thromboembolism (VTE) prevention programme spearheaded by the PVRI and the China Task Force.