15 February 2020 by Ketul Chaudhary

Restoration of lung microcirculation after unilateral pulmonary artery banding in a rat model of severe pulmonary arterial hypertension reveals a remarkable capacity for lung microvascular repair and regeneration

Introduction: Pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) is triggered by endothelial cell (EC) apoptosis leading directly to loss of microvasculature and indirectly to occlusive arterial remodeling, together resulting in a profound loss of functional microcirculation. We hypothesized that the hemodynamic abnormalities of PAH, in particular increased luminal shear stress, play a vital role in perpetuating EC injury and ongoing EC apoptosis, overwhelming endogenous mechanisms of microvascular repair.

Methods and Results: Severe PAH was induced by the VEGF inhibitor, SU5416 (SU, 20mg/kg), together with a 3-week exposure to hypoxia (10% O2, SUHx model) in SD rats. The left pulmonary vascular bed was protected from the effects of elevated arterial pressures and endothelial shear stress by left pulmonary arterial banding (LPAB >70% stenosis), either at 1-week prior to induction of PAH (prevention) or 5-weeks after SU (reversal). Using micro-CT, we demonstrated >80% loss in functional microcirculation by 4 weeks post SU, preceding evidence of occlusive arterial remodeling, and this was associated with persistent EC apoptosis up to 7 weeks. Ongoing EC apoptosis and complex arterial remodeling at 7-weeks were abrogated by LPAB in the prevention model, with complete preservation of the lung microcirculation. Similarly, LPAB at 5 weeks resulted in resolution of EC apoptosis and arterial remodeling, which was associated with progressive recovery of the microcirculation at 8 and 10 weeks. Moreover, removal of the band at 10 weeks resulted in a 26 mmHg decrease in right ventricular systolic pressure 3-weeks later (81±10 vs. 107±10 mmHg; p<0.05).

Conclusions: Two distinct mechanism are required for the development and progression of severe PAH in the SUHx model: the initial EC injury by SU and ongoing EC injury and apoptosis dependent on increased endothelial shear forces; the interruption of which by LPAB reveals a remarkable ability for lung microvascular repair and leads to reversal of established PAH.

Key Contributors

Yupu Deng, Ketul Chaudhary, Rafael Soares Godoy, Anli Yang, Katelynn Rowe, Duncan J Stewart Sinclair Center for Regenerative Medicine, Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, Canada University of Ottawa, Faculty of Medicine, Ottawa, Canada


Comments (0)

Our research platform is the world.

Through worldwide collaboration, we can begin to answer the question of a global disease.

Join the PVRI
standard-example-image.jpg