The Egyptian Society of Chest Diseases and Tuberculosis held its 60th Annual International Congress from 2 to 5 April 2019 at the Hilton Heliopolis, Cairo Egypt, during which the PVRI 1st PH meeting took place.
The Congress was held under the patronage of Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi; Minister of Higher Education and Scientific Research Professor Khaled Abdel Ghaffar; Minister of Health and Population Professor Hala Zayed; President of the Society & the conference Professor Mohamed Awad Tageldin and Secretary General of the conference Professor Gehan Elassal.
The Congress was endorsed by the:
- Pulmonary Vascular Research Institute (PVRI)
- European Respiratory Society (ERS)
- World Association for Bronchology & Interventional Pulmonology (WABIP)
- International Workshop on Lung Health (IWLH).
The meeting was well attended with over 1,250 physicians from Egypt and 20 from the United Arab Emirates. The faculty included 8 international speakers, and these were professors:
- Nazzareno Galie, Italy
- Reda Girgis, United States
- Mario Gerges, Austria
- Majdy Idrees, Canada
- Jan Hedner, Sweden
- Spasoje Popvic, Serbia
- Zugic Vladimir, Serbia.
We would like to thank the three PVRI sponsored speakers, Reda Girgis, Mario Gerges and Majdy Idrees, for their input and contributions.
Over the four-day event, 125 speakers and 110 chairpersons presented various topics on the following specialties: cardiology, imaging, oncology, clinical haematology and rheumatology covering the following sessions:
- Management of PAH
- PVRI session
- Pulmonary vascular diseases
- Thoracic imaging debates
- Cardiac comorbidities in pulmonary diseases (interactive session)
- Sleep medicine
- Airway diseases & lung cancer sessions.
The PVRI 1st PH meeting session covered:
- Definition, classification and pathogenesis of PAH, in view of updated guidelines
- Diagnosis and importance of a step wise algorithm up to RHC
- Different treatment approaches and when to use
- Portopulmonary hypertension
- Haemodynamic assessment of PH patients.
We would like to thank Dr Aymen Farghaly, Military Medical Academy, and Professor Gehan Elassal, Ain Shams University, for organising this exciting event.