The Egyptian Society of Chest Diseases and Tuberculosis held its 60th Annual International Congress from 2 -5 April 2019, at the Hilton Heliopolis, Cairo Egypt, during which the PVRI 1st PH meeting took place.
The Congress was held under the patronage of Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi; Minister of Higher Education and Scientific Research Professor Khaled Abdel Ghaffar; Minister of Health and Population Professor Hala Zayed; President of the Society & the conference Professor Mohamed Awad Tageldin and Secretary General of the conference Professor Gehan Elassal.
The Congress was endorsed by the:
- Pulmonary Vascular Research Institute (PVRI)
- European Respiratory Society (ERS)
- World Association for Bronchology & Interventional Pulmonology (WABIP)
- International Workshop on Lung Health (IWLH).
The meeting was well attended with over 1,250 physicians from Egypt and 20 from the United Arab Emirates. The faculty included the following professors as international speakers:
- Nazzareno Galie, Italy
- Reda Girgis, United States
- Mario Gerges, Austria
- Majdy Idrees, Canada
- Jan Hedner, Sweden
- Spasoje Popvic, Serbia
- Zugic Vladimir, Serbia
We would like to thank the three PVRI sponsored speakers, Reda Girgis, Mario Gerges and Majdy Idrees, for their input and contributions.
Over the four-day event, 125 speakers and 110 chairpersons presented various topics on the following specialties: cardiology, imaging, oncology, clinical haematology and rheumatology covering the following sessions:
- Management of PAH
- PVRI session
- Pulmonary vascular diseases
- Thoracic imaging debates
- Cardiac comorbidities in pulmonary diseases (interactive session)
- Sleep medicine
- Airway diseases & lung cancer sessions.
The PVRI 1st PH meeting session covered:
- Definition, classification and pathogenesis of PAH, in view of updated guidelines
- Diagnosis and importance of a step wise algorithm up to RHC
- Different treatment approaches and when to use
- Portopulmonary hypertension
- Haemodynamic assessment of PH patients.
We would like to thank Dr Ayman Farghaly, Military Medical Academy, and Professor Gehan Elassal, Ain Shams University, for organising this exciting event.